Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lenten Season Fasting & Abstinence

Yesterday's Ash Wednesday signified the start of the Lenten Season again. In Catholic countries, such as the Philippines, this means the start of fasting and abstinence again. According to the American Catholic Org,  

"Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. In addition, all Catholics 14 years old and older must abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all the Fridays of Lent.
 
Fasting as explained by the U.S. bishops means partaking of only one full meal. Some food (not equaling another full meal) is permitted at breakfast and around midday or in the evening—depending on when a person chooses to eat the main or full meal.

Abstinence forbids the use of meat, but not of eggs, milk products or condiments made of animal fat."

I know of a few people who observes this assiduously. They do not eat meat during the Lenten season. Others does not eat meat on all Fridays of Lent while some have chosen to interpret this as abstaining from something they cannot seem to live without such as rice, chocolates, meat. 

In this age of technology, where people cannot seem to live without their iPhone and Android gadgets, iPad, Facebook, Blackberry Messenger, I wonder how many people or if any will choose to abstain from using any of their must have gadgets? No Facebook for 46 days? I think some people will go nuts :)

The gadgets are just a convenience for me so abstaining will not have much impact. I have decided instead to abstain from eating rice this Lenten. What about you?
 

4 comments:

  1. I think kelangan kong i-lessen ang online time. andaming oras nasasayang dahil sa Facebook at kung anu ano. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct. I spend too much time surfing also but abstinence one at a time only. Don't want to go crazy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt have a lenten sacrifice this year :(

    www.joeiandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to develop a quick message so as to say thanks to you for the marvelous ideas you are sharing on this website. My long internet lookup has at the end of the day been honored with professional points to write about with my contacts. I d tell you that most of us site visitors actually are very much endowed to exist in a magnificent network withL'Reve 24k many lovely individuals with very beneficial things. I feel somewhat fortunate to have discovered your site and look forward to really more brilliant times reading here. Thanks once more for a lot of things.espionne paresi Daisi gharry bermejo collings faceless altavista closer I learned a lot thank you.http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/lreve-24k/

    ReplyDelete