Saturday, February 18, 2012

Bruno - Unexpected New Member Of The Family

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 started out as another regular day for us. We planned to go to Cartimar since Ricky needed to buy food for the discuss. I tagged along as usual since he prefers to go with me whenever he goes to Cartimar. For the first time since we bought the Picanto, we are using his car for the weekend. He didn’t want to gas up my car so we used his car. I didn’t know it at the time but this was a good thing for me.

When we arrived in Cartimar, I got off the plants section since I really had no interest in staying at the fish shop. I got myself a new fortune plant for the Lanai and a Million plant for the side garden.

Once we put the plants in the car, we walked about since Ricky still needed to buy water conditioners. Lo and behold, I passed this shop with 3 adorable cream Chow Chow. As I kneeled beside the cage, one immediately came to me to be petted. I think I got hooked right off the bat. The puppies are three and a half month old and looked to be in good health. I noticed that one of the litter was bigger than the other two but he was more aloof than the other 2. He was more stocky, his face was more square and his paws seemed to be bigger. The pet shop people called him Jumbo. They told me was the breeder’s favorite among the litter and he was like the protector of the other pups.

Ricky saw how much I liked the dogs and offered to buy me one as an advance birthday gift. I was hesitant to agree at first because the price was steep. I told him that I would rather he help me in with our Boracay expense this summer. That I would rather have the kids to have the Bora experience. Also, buying another dog would be expensive not just for the outright purchase but also in the long run with the vaccines, food, etc.


I guess he saw something in my face that told him I really wanted to have a cream Chow. He made an argument that I could not refute logically. That we can earn back the money by breeding Chows. Since dad is a certified dog lover, I guess this would work. We agreed to haggle the price lower and ask for a freebie. We got the price lower by P2,000 and a free food dish. Ricky also bought food and leash for the new Pup and Hannah.

I originally wanted to get the Chow who first approach me but given the perspective of breeding the dog later on, I opted to get Jumbo. We chose the name Bruno – as in Bruno Mars – in keeping with the names of our other dogs. The name sounds so manly and brusque.

At this point, I must say that I am making a resolution that I will take an active part in taking care of Bruno and Hannah – my first Chow who is 25% Lab - once again. I know that I have neglected Hannah in the last couple of years. I don’t know why I lost interest in taking care of Hannah. I was so excited when Ricky bought her for me. The first few months, I did actively care for her. But as the months went by, I lost interest. I don’t know if it was because as she grew up, it became apparent that she was a mixed breed. I wanted a Chow who was very much bear type I looks. The looks I guess was the thing that hooked my interest in Chows. Hannah is a very sweet dog and quite smart. So the problem lies with me.

This time around I intend to do better with both dogs.

2 comments:

  1. Soooo cute your new family member. I also consider my doggie as one of my family members, well, she is my baby :P



    Much support, Christia
    _______
    Getting boiled @ hot springs and Loving it! from Christia's World

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just followed your blog. :)

    Bruno is sooo cute! We have 3 boys as well. :)

    ReplyDelete